Tuesday 8 July 2014

Gin & Tonic Loaf Cake

Did I tell you that I once won a whole case of Gordons gin? 12 whole bottles, all because I was bored on the East Coast Mainline, returning from an Employment Tribunal in Newcastle Upon Tyne to London? Well I did. I think I might have been the only person who entered the competition in the 'in train' magazine, because I also won tickets to see Stomp all from the same postcard entry form. In many ways, I think it's slightly unfortunate that I cancelled out my entire winning streak with one competition. I mean, I'm unlikely to win on the premium bonds now - I can't even win a tenner on a scratch card (not that I buy them - perhaps that's the problem? But no, I think even if I did buy them, or play the lottery, I just wouldn't win).

I do like a gin & tonic. You'd think that 12 bottles and I might have got a little bored of it, but no, although I have to say that Gordons is unlikely to be my gin of choice these days. I'm rather partial to Bombay Sapphire as a kind of 'day to day' gin - which makes it sound like I drink it all the time, which I don't (really, Mum, I absolutely don't). My all time favourite gin was one that a local wine merchant produced for me I went in looking for Hendricks, and came out with a bottle, one of only a dozen he'd managed to get his hands on (I didn't ask how), or gin distilled on the bay in San Francisco. I can't to my shame remember what it was called, but it was delicious.  I've never seen it since which is a great shame.




I've just come to the end of a rather delicious elderflower infused concoction by Warner Edwards, purchased at CarFest last year, and cracked open a bottle of Adnams 'Copper House' gin which a friend brought with her when she came to stay. She can come again.

The reason for cracking open a bottle of gin on a Sunday morning, which felt very decadent and not a little raffish, is this cake. You see, I like gin & I like cake. The lure of a gin & tonic cake must therefore be obvious to you.



I baked it for the July meeting of the Cardigan Clandestine Cake Club, on the theme 'Summertime'. because what could be more summery than sitting outside as the heat just starts to drift out of the day, drinking a gin & tonic. Fancy cocktails are all very well, but you just can't beat a great G&T. And I do love a lemon drizzle cake, ad this combines the best of both.

The cake calls for the weighing method for ingredients - my eggs weighed 250g which has NEVER happened to me before, but the resultant mixture was probably a little too much. I should have diverted some of it into cupcakes, I think. Somewhere in the region of 200g might have been better.




But when a cake has gin in it, you can cast aside any sense of caution. And this cake does have a lot of gin in it. A. LOT. Mostly in the drizzle. I tried to distribute the drizzle evenly over the cake, but I did still end up with a very gin soaked central part of cake, with gin becoming more subtle the closer to the edges and the bottom of the cake you nibbled. That said, if I hadn't been driving, I would have embraced the gin-soaked centre with enthusiasm. 




It was a real shame we were all, to a woman, driving, to be honest - because getting gently sozzled on a lovely piece of cake, well, it's a pretty enjoyable thought for a summer evening, really. Definitely a cake for the grownups, I'd say. One to make when you know you're not going to be driving anywhere.



My fellow blogger, Sarah, who's lovely bit of the blogosphere is A View from the Table was similarly interested in this cake, being a bit of a gin connoisseur, and so I'll be interested to hear what she thought of this cake.

8 comments:

  1. This sounds right up my alley! I wonder if it can be gluten-free'd successfully?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did wonder about using rice flour and ground almonds, but wasn't sure if the ground almonds would have worked with the gin, so refrained. It's got to be worth a go!

      Delete
  2. Wow, I would never have thought of trying gin as a cake ingredient! I wonder if using sloe gin would be an autumnal variant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, now I wonder - I think that would allow for ground almonds in the cake too... *makes mental bookmark*

      Delete
  3. Gin and cake - now that's what I call good thinking. It sounds wonderful. There are some very fine gins available these days - remind me to drink more. My favourite gin used to be Belfast gin, full of lovely orangey flavours. I think it ceased production around 20 years ago I'm sorry to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a shame when something you really love stops being produced and you wonder if you were the only person who enjoyed it (and were therefore a little strange). It's happened to me a few times too. Yes, gin is definitely on the up at the moment. I recommend Warner Edwards to you, and there are some fine gins coming out of the South West too

      Delete
  4. Yours looks great Sally. I'm making mine tomorrow for a party. Can't wait! Drunk on cake - yippeee! I will report back...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being drunk on cake is a distinct possibility with this one...

      Delete

I LOVE comments - please leave one. Unfortunately, I have been getting hideous amounts of SPAM so please can you do the word verification thingy?

UA-44695690-1