Monday 19 May 2014

Spinach & Lemongrass soup

I know - I have made plenty of spinach soup before, but this is another variation, slightly more thought through than those I have previously posted, and it was so quick and delicious that I feel compelled to share. This makes a big vat of tasty & healthy-ish soup that should keep us going for lunches this week. And it tastes great with peanut butter on toast. A classy accompaniement if ever there was one.



Spinach & Lemon Grass Soup

1 tbsp oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 piece of ginger - about the top joint of your thumb, peeled & sliced
1 lemon grass stalk, hard outer layer remived, based a bit with a rolling pin
1 tbsp tamarind
1.5litres of stock (I used chicken but veggie would be fine)
500g of thereabouts of spinach - I'd separate stalks and leaves if you're using proper adult spinach, but I used baby spinach
1 tin (400ml) coconut milk
juice of 1 lime

Heat the oil gently in a large pan, then sweat the onion with the ginger and bashed lemon grass stalk for a few minutes before adding 1 litre of the stock and the tamarind. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 mins or so, then add in the spinach and cook till wilted.

Once the spinach is wilted down, remove any big bits of lemon grass, add the remaining 500ml of stock,the coconut milk and the lime juice, give it a good stir and then blitz with your blitzing tool of choice.

Reheat gently before serving.




 

4 comments:

  1. sounds delicious with the lemongrass (+the peanut butter on toast bit!) - love spinach, and it seems to be the only thing that's doing ok in the veg patch at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh. I love the idea of lemongrass in here I bet it had a wonderful earthy quality with a light fragrance. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dom, yes it's lovely, although I might add another stick of lemongrass next time

      Delete
  3. 3 Studies SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally burn fat by eating Coconut Fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from large medical journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments - please leave one. Unfortunately, I have been getting hideous amounts of SPAM so please can you do the word verification thingy?

UA-44695690-1