Wednesday 8 January 2014

Undermined by the veg box - PSB and chorizo pasta

So all those good intentions, about using up everything in my cupboards? Yeah, right.

Not looking much like chickpea curry, is it?
The week started off well enough, with the meals I'd intended over the weekend and on Monday, but Tuesday's chickpea ketchup curry and dahl went out of the window following a car fail (don't ask). The fact that we had leftovers in the fridge from both the lasagne and the sausage casserole, meant that when I finally got round to preparing tea for my 2 starving children (home eventually with the help of a bungee, 2 old bootlaces and a good friend), I couldn't be bothered to cook. Well - would you?

The other thing that happened was that I forgot to cancel the veg box. Usually, I wait and see what's in the veg box every Tuesday, and then go from there. However, as my plan for feeding us revolves around what I already have, it makes more economic sense to be able to choose my veggies for the next few weeks, rather than wait and see what turns up.

But, you know, I'm glad - GLAD, I tell you, because if I hadn't had the veg box this week, I probably wouldn't have got any PSB.

Purple Sprouting Brocoli.

My favourite.

So instead of writing Tuesday off as an exercise in fridge control and simply shifting that night's planned meal on to today, I am now down not one but 2 meals on my plan, because instead of either chickpea ketchup curry or chilli, tonight we are having PSB and chorizo pasta. With fried eggs for those that want.

You don't need a recipe (do you? There isn't one, I'm afraid). I haven't weighed out any amounts (my greed is driving this) although for 3 of us, I'm using 9 little chorizo sausages - about 180g, relatively thickly sliced, which I'm gently frying as I type this - mmm can't you smell the garlicky, smoky paprika? The pasta is on to boil and I'll steam the PSB florets over the pasta water for the shortest possible time so that they are just cooked but not at all soggy and limp. My veg box had about 4 big stalks of it - so I trimmed off the biggest leaves and split them up into the florets.

In a moment I'll be frying the eggs in the pan that the chorizo was cooked in. 

Hungry?

Just as good on a thick slice of bread as with pasta

5 comments:

  1. Do you know I had completely forgotten about PSB until you had mentioned it, I have never seen it here, and I definitely know that we didn't ever see it in Denmark. I could eat the contents of that last picture right now! Hope the car is OK?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was totally delicious. Yes the car is OK - I go the kids to orchestra and then the rear passenger door wouldn't close. I have to get up horribly early to take it to a garage but as we only bought it on New Year's Eve, it is at least covered by a warranty.

      Delete
  2. maddening thing to happen to a car you've just bought! Hope it's sorted now. I'm very fond of psb, my dad used to grow loads of it, but the kids prefer the green boring kind of course. Have found though that they're much more likely to eat a meal if I put chorizo in it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - chorizo - and bacon. They have become to my repertoire what hidden vegetable tomato sauce was when they were toddlers.

      Delete
  3. The chorizo looks fantastic in this dish.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments - please leave one. Unfortunately, I have been getting hideous amounts of SPAM so please can you do the word verification thingy?

UA-44695690-1